Development Office Privacy Notice
Last updated 24/05/2018.
This privacy notice explains how the Development Office will collect and use personal data for alumni and development activities. Please note that throughout this policy we will refer to ‘alumni’, however this relates to all individuals we are engaging with from an alumni relations or development perspective and may include former and current parents, pupils, staff, organisations such as corporates and trusts, and the wider community. ’Development Office’, ‘we’, ‘our’ and ‘us’ refers to St Columba’s School’s Development Office. ‘You’ and ‘your’ refers to former pupils of St Columba’s School, former and current parents, as well as other members of the School community.
Until 24 May 2018 we will process personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. From 25 May 2018, we will process personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations (‘GDPR’). This Notice complies with requirements under both DPA and GDPR.
Under GDPR you have the right to:
• access your personal data held by us
• obtain a copy of your data in a commonly used electronic form
• restrict or object to certain processing of your personal data by us
• withdraw consent where that is the legal basis of our processing
• be forgotten, which means that we will suppress your profile on our database and will no longer contact you
Please visit www.ico.org.uk for further information.
How do we collect personal data?
We obtain personal data from the following sources:
• For pupils and their parents via access to the School’s database.
Data provided by you
• through direct communication with the Development Office,
• through our website: www.st-columbas.org, the Development Office’s LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/in/st-columba-s-school-alumni-b74220162/, and www.ColumbansConnect.org,
• by submitting completed surveys or response forms such as communication preference forms, donation/Gift Aid forms,
• when registering to attend an alumni/Development Office related event or a reunion.
Personal data we process
We collect and process the following personal data about you:
• your title, name (including former name or alias) and date of birth,
• your education record (i.e. class of, year of entry/leaving, house, captain information) and higher education record (i.e. university attended, course),
• your contact information (address, telephone, email, social media),
• your business details including position, organisation, professional memberships and qualifications,
• information from articles about you which are in the public domain,
• your family details, including spouse or partner, and relationships with other alumni and members of the School community,
• events you have been invited to and whether or not you have responded or attended,
• general information that you have decided to share with us.
We will keep a record of our interactions with you for future reference and to help us customise further communications. We may record whether emails sent by us have been opened and whether any links have been clicked on. You have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office about the way in which we process your personal data. Please visit www.ico.org.uk.
Purposes for processing your personal data
The main purpose for processing your personal data is to help us maintain an engaged St Columba’s community. We may also process your personal data for the following purposes:
• to process a gift you have given (and any Gift Aid claims)
• event registration
• to process and organise any volunteering activity you have agreed to undertake
• to process information you provide for use on our School website or publications
• to keep a record of communications between you and us
Fundraising which supports:
• the St Columba’s Foundation,
When organising reunions, we may share ‘Class of’ lists with reunion organisers. These detail the first name, surname and leaving year, and are used to remind alumni about their year group and to assist with an invite list. Individuals with whom the lists are shared are asked if they are in touch with anyone on the list and, if appropriate, asked to approach these individuals to establish if they would like to receive communications from the School.
Please note that if you wish to make a gift to the School we may process your personal data, including information from the public domain, for due diligence purposes.
From time to time we may communicate with you by email, post, telephone and social media to pursue the purposes mentioned above. In particular we regularly communicate with people for the following purposes:
• share news about the School and our former pupils
• invite you to events and reunions
• release updates on the St Columba’s Foundation
We use your data (such as postcode, age and interests) to help us plan our activities and determine if certain communications or activities are indeed of interest to you. This research helps us to ensure that our communications (including fundraising or volunteering requests) are appropriate and relevant to you.
You can unsubscribe from our communications at any time by contacting the Development Office by phone on 01505 872238 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can see your data?
Your data is held securely within the Development Office, with strictly controlled access.
We may facilitate communications between individual alumni, but do not release personal contact details without prior permission. We do not sell or share your data to third parties for their commercial purposes.
We hope that our alumni wish to enjoy a lifelong relationship with the St Columba’s School community. We therefore retain alumni personal data for a minimum of 10 years.
If you decide that you no longer wish to receive communication from the School, please be aware that we still need to retain a minimal amount of personal data so that we can keep a record that you have asked us not to contact you. For more information or to discuss this with us, please call us on 01505 872238 or email us on email@example.com.
We will update the data we hold on you from time to time. For example, if you provide us with new contact details or change your details on the School website or social media sites such as LinkedIn. If you would like your data to be updated, please visit our website or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If there is anything you are unclear about or have any concerns with regard to the way your personal data is being processed, please contact us on email@example.com.
Our general postal address is St Columba’s School, Duchal Road, Kilmacolm, PA13 8AU.
This Notice may be subject to updates. The date of the latest update will be clearly marked at the top of the Notice.